About Me

My photo
Just a twentysomething living my life and, as most my age, figuring it out as I go,

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Crossroads

I'm at a crossroads in my life between knowledge and action. I have recently been given a passion for modern day slavery, which consequently intersects with a head-passion I've always had for poverty in the world. As I learn more and more about the issue of modern day slavery, which includes everything from sex trafficking to mistreatment of workers and human trafficking for labor, it is no longer okay to harbor only knowledge. Eventually those facts and stats have to become more. They must mature into a passion for action. And as I sit and type, I am conflicted. Everything around me has--most likely--been handled unfairly by someone else out there. This weighs heavily on me as a Christian and as a human being. 
But where do I begin in my life to promote fair trade and make changes in my purchasing styles, when fair trade items are so limited and, unfortunately, so is my budget. I do not want to be all talk anymore, changing how I act in some instances, but then turning around and buying that new shirt that increases my slavery footprint on the world instead of diminishing it's mark? 
Coming from the girl who did a huge happy dance when I noticed the fair trade emblem on my K-cups, I can do some things to help. But where is the border between taking small personal victories and changes to overcome slavery and reminding myself that there's only one person who can save the world and it's not me? I guess I don't really have an answer to these questions yet...so maybe it is pointless for me to post this. But I also want anyone out there who is feeling the same way to know they're not alone. And maybe by posting this, someone will stumble upon it and give me a small glimmer of hope in finding the answer. 
Believe me, once I find my footing and start learning what direction to go, I will surely let you all know. 
For today, all I have are questions; staring at the crossroads.

No comments:

Post a Comment