About Me

My photo
Just a twentysomething living my life and, as most my age, figuring it out as I go,

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Come Thou Fount: and other happy coincidences

Early this morning, my grandmother went into surgery to remove some cancer from her colon. As I woke up, bleary eyed, to get ready, the song "Come Thou Fount" ran through my head. I don't exactly know why it was in my head this morning, but it is one of my favorite hymns. 
My mornings begin with 9am chapel, where Harding students and staff lead a 20-30 minute devotional period. This week, they asked students to speak about a hymn that means something to them, but first we sing a few songs. This morning happened to be led by two of my good friends that I spent a semester in Greece with. As my first friend got up to lead singing, he started with Come Thou Fount.

"Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy help I come. And I hope by Thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home." An Ebenezer is a large stone that represented a new beginning and the steadfastness of God's grace. Monday night, we spent time thanking God for constantly being present in our life, and raising our own Ebenezer.


I knew I was facing this week that it was full of worry and stress, but I raise my Ebenezer and recognize God is always by my side. He has always been there, and is bigger than anything I face.

My second friend spoke on a song that meant a lot to him through his mom's battle with cancer. He talked about the song "For Your Are Good." He shared that when his mom was cleared last summer, people came up to her and said "God is so good! He healed you from this cancer." and her response was "God was good even before he healed me." Those words were a wave of comfort as I thought of my grandmother in surgery as he spoke of his experience. God is our rock and our comforter when we are weak and fragile. But he is always good, even if things don't go how we want! 

He is our rock, our comforter, always steadfast. And he covers us in happy coincidences, revealing his love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment