About Me

My photo
Just a twentysomething living my life and, as most my age, figuring it out as I go,

Saturday, April 20, 2013

To Do ::[Summer 2013]::

So this summer I am going home...again. Last summer, I was blessed to do a youth internship near home, so I was constantly going. This summer sounds a little more lame in comparison to my friends who will head out to all corners of the world this May, June and July. But I firmly believe there is a reason that all the other plans I tried for didn't work out. I don't really know what that reason is, but this summer I am making a to do list of things I will accomplish around home. It WILL be a summer adventure, even if I feel like I am going back to the place I've been my entire life. There is a whole lot that I have not explored in the area where I live. So, here goes! I hope to post pictures and snippits as I accomplish each new journey. In the words of my friend Kelc: VIVA!

  • Go to new coffee shops
     Like this one: The Pearl Cup http://pearlcupcoffee.com/
Branch out from the typical Starbucks-which don't get me wrong,
I love Starbucks-but support a smaller business and try
new coffee varieties at other places. Or if you're not a coffee 
drinker, try new restaurants, or shops. Find a small store that you
would typically just pass by, and give it a go. Maybe you'll find a brand
new favorite outfit to mix things up!


  • Justice Seminar
 This summer, I am working to host a seminar about human trafficking 
at my home congregation, to bring awareness of this issue to my 
brothers and sisters and to equip them with ways they can get involved 
in the fight right where we are now!
  • Volunteer
I am calling myself out on talking the talk, but not walking the walk.
I want to use this summer to explore the opportunities around my own 
community. I have been saying for a couple years now that I want to help
out at a place called Hearts and Hands, which is only 15 minutes from 
my house. But I constantly make excuses, namely that I don't
want to go by myself.
Which leads me to my next one.
  • Do things on my own more
I have been wasting time and opportunity because I am afraid to do 
something alone. And what a selfish approach to the world, because I am 
not alone! First of all, I can think of very few things where I truly would 
be doing something alone, even if I  just don't know people. Also, as 
cheesy and cliche as you may think this is, God is by my side. 
That's a lesson I need to learn! So why not start this summer-whether that's 
getting up and volunteering, jumping into a new job where I know 
no one, going to movies or coffee shops alone, or even just going on a 
walk or run by myself.
  • Find cool, free things to do nearby!
There are so many places that I know I would love, and should explore
and get to know my area better. I've lived there 21 years, but there
is so much I have yet to see. For example, over spring break, I learned
that my city has a farmers market in downtown on Saturday mornings.
You best believe, I'm going to be hitting that place up this summer!
  • Make new friends
I don't really have many people back home that I keep up with, and those
that I do typically spend their summers elsewhere. So for this summer, I am
to invest in the people around me. Assuming I can find a job, I want to
spend time with those people outside of work. Some of them may not
want to, but it's my choice to make an effort and step outside of
myself to create those new relationships. Who knows what greatness
could come of those strangers I will face in the coming months.
  •  Face the Texas heat
I am the biggest baby about being hot and sweaty. Mostly sweaty. I can
handle the dry heat, but when I am constantly glistening (because girls
don't sweat, we glisten....blah blah) while outside, I get ca-raaanky!
But this summer I will force my vampire-ishly pale self out of
the air conditioned house and into the melatonin filled outdoors.
Maybe sweat off some pounds, soak in some sunlight, go see new parks
and gardens around the metro or spend some time at the lake! 
  •  Read books
If you are like me, then you have a huge list of books that people
have recommended and mentioned to you, or you've heard about through
the years. There are books on my list that I didn't even know were on my list.
So this summer is the time to tackle that! Unfortunately I am
one of the slowest readers, so maybe it won't be a much smaller
list by the time I'm done, but it's a goal of mine to at least complete a book.
On top of being a slow reader, I also start books in the middle of
other books, and don't finish them. Maybe I'm afraid of commitment,
who knows. But us this summer to take down whatever you can of that 
enormous book list!      
  • Do new projects
(Or finish ones I've started). I have a picture curtain waiting at home
for me to finish hanging behind my bed, a halfway refurbished cabinet
sitting in our garage needing a second coat of paint and some cutesy
decor added! Even just cleaning out closest, organizing old pictures,
making a scrapbook. I also am hoping to spend some of my job money 
on taking a class at Hobby Lobby/JoAnn's to learn a new skill.
So to those of you who feel like you're "just going back home for summer", take heart-summer will be what you make it! Do something new and outside of your comfort zone (again, VIVA!!!). Make a list of crazy things to do in the 3-4 months you have. Take trips and enjoy life! You don't have to be on an adventure to live one. 
And to those of you going on a new adventure, enjoy! Learn from the people you are going to be around, especially if it is in a different country. I'm a firm believer that travel is the greatest blessing as far as being able to grow in yourself. Seeing another culture really challenges how we define ourselves. So be a tourist, but also be a citizen. Invest in the people you pass by daily. 
I'm still waiting for the chance to travel again and be with people who are culturally different from me!
So let's go Summer 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment