About Me

My photo
Just a twentysomething living my life and, as most my age, figuring it out as I go,

Sunday, September 29, 2013

I am Mountain [Music with Meaning]

If you haven't had a chance to listen to Gungor's new album "I Am Mountain", which was release this pastTuesday,  I encourage you to check it out. Gungor amazes me with it true poetry in music. The "band" (consisting primarily of husband and wife team Michael and Lisa Gungor) has an amazing way of exploring new platforms in musical artistry. I warn you though, sit down and listen to the story told in "I Am Mountain" in sequential order. I made the terrible mistake of carelessly putting the album on shuffle the first night I got it. And I hated it. It just didn't seem like the Gungor I knew and loved. 
But then I remembered the story of "Ghosts Upon the Earth" and decided I needed to listen straight through. This group is the perfect example of true musicianship. I don't think I could put them in a specific genre, each song holds different elements and themes. From one song to the next, the only similar thread is Michael Gungor's gritty, rich voice. But each piece fits together in an abstract puzzle. They are a group that makes you think about their music. (Unlike my other musical obsession). It's not a just a light tune that you play on repeat and dance around the apartment to, but a soul-searching story that challenges how you see life. And to that I say, Well played Gungor! 

So check it out. Reflect on the story. And if you want to read a little more about the meaning of the album, check this article out: http://mikemchargue.com/blog/2013/9/21/review-of-gungors-i-am-mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment